High up on the mountain, on the bank of Khachen river Gandzasar monastery is situated. The church John the Baptist and its narthes were built in 1216-1238 by Jalalyan princes. Historical facts confirm that the history of Gandzasar is older than the building of John the Baptist’s church. There are more than 200 inscriptions on the walls of the monastic complex. The rich decorations on the outside of the buildings are wonderful examples of medieval art.